Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Elimination Diet Experiment, An Overview


I'm officially a lawyer by profession, having passed one bar examination (in the great state of Arkansas) and I've somehow decided that to take a second bar examination, because (a) I'm crazy; (b) I'm a masochist; (c) I have nothing better to do while basking in funemployment.

Anyone who has ever taken a bar exam can tell you it sucks. It wreaks havoc on your diet, your body, your mind, your psyche, your everything. (No lie: I looked like a friggin meth addict, I was picking my face out of anxiety so much.)

Ahem. Since beginning to study for this last bar examination, I've been feeling those same pangs in my stomach. The pangs in my head. The need for a nap at 11 in the morning. I'm exercising at least five days a week, and I don't mean the pansy workout where you get on an elliptical for 20 minutes and call it a morning. I lift shit. I move my ass. And I've not lost a single pound.

So what's a girl to do? Well, a week ago, I read an article (I have no idea what the link is, because I followed that article up with about seventy billion more articles on the same subject) regarding elimination diets. One of the premiere doctors in the field is Dr. John Mansfield, who is an allergist and who has penned two books on the subject--one concerning food sensitivities and how they exacerbate osteoarthritis and another merely on how food sensitivities can affect your weight loss. I honed in on the latter book, entitled "The Six Secrets of Successful Weight Loss."


I was intrigued, but the only way to really know what was really in the book was to buy it. I thought about purchasing it off Amazon, but since this book is primarily released in the UK, I didn't know how long it would take me to receive it. So I downloaded Kindle for my PC, then I bought the book for ten buckaroos.

The basic premise is the six secrets, which I'll touch upon later. MY main focus in this book was that we all have food sensitivities that are preventing us from reaching our goal weights because our body is constantly having to readjust for these foods that we aren't supposed to be eating. Although I hated human physiology in college, I did somehow manage to receive my degree in Toxicology, and I knew all about the cortisol reaction--you introduce a stressor (e.g.: in this case, a food you have a sensitivity to) into your system, your body freaks out, your body releases cortisol, and cortisol (necessary and magical thing in its own right) tries to put everything to rights. However, time and time again, studies have shown that when cortisol is constantly relied upon to fix all of your troubles, it eventually leads to problems with your pituitary glands, your thyroid function, and your subsequent fat distribution.

After downloading this book, I was highly impressed at how Dr. Mansfield breaks everything down. I decided to embark upon this elimination diet to see if it could help me. I certainly wouldn't mind knowing all the foods I'm sensitive to, and I think it would help me in the long run with regards to my overall health and progress in the gym.

Because what's the point of busting your ass in the gym if you're not going to see results????

No comments:

Post a Comment