Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Elimination Diet, Day 11 + my trip to the allergist

This morning, I weighed in twice--once as soon as I got up, which was earlier than normal, then after I got moving and closer to the regular time I weigh myself (and after a BM). Those weights were 111.6/111.2. This evening, I weighed 111.8, which I think is in line with how I should ACTUALLY be weighing--more throughout the day and lose weight throughout the night. I guess we'll have to see. Last night I had black tea, and I don't think I'll be doing it again. I think I'm sensitive to it, because although there wasn't a HUGE weight gain, I had a lot of trouble sleeping, had terrible dreams, and generally felt bloated and unhappy with my stomach. It's crazy how some foods can affect you so much and others don't (especially when they're not even FOODS, but drinks).

On that note, tonight I introduced milk, and immediately felt like my stomach was curdling. I JUST KNOW I'm going to weigh more tomorrow morning. :( Not cool. I love milk, and haven't really considered finding a replacement for it. Even if my weight doesn't increase, I'd definitely say I have an intolerance to the milk, though it may manifest in ways other than weight gain. If my poor stomach has any say in the matter, it doesn't like digesting milk at all.

Which is funny, because today I went to the allergist and got tested for all kinds of allergens, including 13 common food allergies. Here is a picture of me being tested for all of them:



The screening checked to see if I had any allergies to wheat, eggs (whole), milk, peanuts, soybeans, pecans, walnuts, chocolate, shrimp, crab, salmon, trout, and tuna. And what am I allergic to? Peanuts. I could have already told you that, as anytime I eat them, the roof of my mouth starts tingling/goes numb. It hasn't stopped me from eating them, of course, but now it gives me pause. Though I'm not *technically* allergic to the other foods I've listed, that doesn't mean I don't have a slight sensitivity to it, which means I'm going to continue my diet (particularly since this test didn't include corn, sugar, and yeast as potential allergens and particularly given my response to milk today). I'm also allergic to goldenrod, marsh elder, English plantain, cockroach dust, dust mites, mice, and privets. I'm not allergic to any grasses, and I have no reactions to any types of mold.

I also got an official diagnosis for asthma, which is shocking, because I've only had two asthma attacks in my whole life and thought my mother was majorly blowing the possibility out of proportion (she has asthma, too). My doctor informed me that my lung function was significantly impaired, however, and that my lungs were 3x more inflamed than that of a person with regular lung function. I got a bag of pharmaceutical samples (because my allergist is the bomb.com) and am going back at the beginning of March for a checkup. I've also been given the task of charting my lung function each day, which may be something I incorporate into my blogs.

So yeah, more chicken and rice today, more bananas, more apples, a glass of milk, a handful of grapes, and BOOM...sensitivities. I think we'll see the full scope tomorrow morning, and I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment